making room for linux

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Wed Nov 23 15:12:39 EST 2011

It is worth mentioning here that windows 7 does include the tools to
grow and shrink partitions although it can not move them.
start ->run dismmgmt.msc
then right click the partition and select shrink.

At a wild guess you have a recovery partition, a system partition and
data partition. If you don't already you'll want NVDA installed to read
the screen or something else.

You can do all grow/shrink things from the command-line in windows if
you run diskpart
look on m$ knowledge base for info however stuff like this works:

diskpart

list disk
select disk 1
list partition
select partition 2
shrink size=300G

something to be aware of, Windows 7 will blast your boot loader if you
reinstall it and it's not as simple as installing the mbr back again as
it once was as the loader in windows 7 got bigger.
If you install something other than windows 7 loader to mbr, make sure
you have a way of putting the old stuff back, I usually back up the
first track with dd.
dd if=/dev/sda count=63 of=track0.img

If you put Linux boot loader in mbr then you can configure that to boot
windows if desired.
I usually find it best to have at least 1 primary partition for Linux I
personally make it /boot

regards, Kerry.