[Bulk] CentOs, speakup, and IRLP

Jim Kutsch JimKutsch at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 5 16:24:58 EDT 2011

Chris,
First, IRLP can run on any version of Linux as long as you are willing to
forgo their "official" support.  All that really means is that you  can't
ask the IRLP support volunteers to solve any problems.  I have had IRLP node
4446 running here for several years on Fedora 9 with Speakup with no
problems.  Note, I did have to change a few of their shell scripts to make
things work with Fedora.

Second, unless you are truly committed to IRLP for something, there's a
fully open source ham radio RoIP (radio over IP) system available too.  The
AllStar Link system is based on the Asterisk PBX and functionally is very
similar to IRLP.  Think of it as a separate, different network though.
There is no cross linking of IRLP and AllStar nodes.  One possible advantage
for your situation is that the radio interface is completely via USB.   The
interface circuit is built into a USB device.  No sound card and no parallel
port is required.  I have the AllStar USB hardware here but haven't had time
to convert from IRLP.  It's one of those projects awaiting more spare time.

If you want help with IRLP, let me know.

Jim, KY2D