CentOs, speakup, and IRLP

Christopher Schulte w8cjs at w8cjs.com
Sat Nov 5 15:43:58 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I am looking at setting up an IRLP node for my amateur station.  For those who don't know, IRLP stands for internet radio linking project.  Now a lot of people will say that this is off topic, because of the ham radio aspect of IRLP, but my question is very much speakup related.  The IRLP hardware requires a serial port to interface with the radio, and uses centOS linux.  It also requires a radio interfacing with a sound card.  My question is, being that I have no ISA slots in my motherboard, and only one comm port, is there anything that I can set up that might run on either a USB sound card for speakup, or will I have to buy a second serial controller as well as a serial speech synthesizer.  Also, does speakup work on the cent os flavor of linux?  As far as it goes, it appears that IRLP is not limitted speciffically to cent OS, but I haven't been able to get an exact answer on that score.  If there's anyone on the list that either can give me some information regarding this problem, I'd grately appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris Schulte