error loading speakup_ltlk module

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 4 11:29:09 EDT 2011

All,

I'm working with the developers of grml to update the accessibility of their
live CD.  After booting from the test iso they sent me, I tried to load the
speakup module for my doubletalk LT. An error message (reproduced below)
was generated. I checked that the /dev/ttyS0 exists and I echoed a string to
/dev/ttyS0 and my synth spoke it. So I know my synth is connected properly
and functioning.

root at grml ~ # modprobe speakup_ltlk
FATAL: Error inserting speakup_ltlk
(/lib/modules/3.1.0-grml64/kernel/drivers/st
aging/speakup/speakup_ltlk.ko): No such device
1 root at grml ~ # file /dev/ttyS0
/dev/ttyS0: character special
root at grml ~ # echo bogus >> /dev/ttyS0