ot: ARCH PROBLEMS

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sat May 7 15:16:26 EDT 2011

I've been through some major upgrades recently with my arch box and
thankfully nothing broke speakup.  I did run into some big problems
with speech and gnome3 largely because of the use of pulse audio
<yuck>.  In fact, you might try and configure your system to not
launch gnome at all for the time being and see if you can at least get
speakup going again.  then if that does the trick, then look into the
file, /etc/asound.conf; might wanna copy this to your home directoryh
and anywhere else you might be running pulse like in gnome.  Comment
out all the contents so pulse won't try to override your ALSA stuff.
this will enable espeakup and espeak to function under ALSA instead of
pulse.  I think there are some changes that need to be made to the
default.pa file in /etc/pulse too but don't know the exact tools.
this pulse audio business has introduced a log of additional
challenges and unnecessary hassles to getting a machine up and
talking.  Sorry I don't have the specific info for pulse configuration
but I'll bet pulse audio is biting you here.  the gnome 3 upgrade that
took place last weekend forced an install of pulse audio if not
already there.