freebsd speakup

Jacob Schmude j.schmude at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 06:27:15 EDT 2011

On 03/20/2011 03:18 AM, Rob Whyte wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that freebsd kernels are somewhat different to linux kernels;
> With the debian kernel freebsd project being active now are there any
> hopes for speakup being ported to freebsd?

That's a bit of an understatement. FreeBSD and Linux are extremely
different at the kernel level, as they come from completely different
backgrounds. All the *BSD flavors have their roots in the original
BSD/OS, and have much more resemblance to one another than they do to
Linux at all.

> What are the restrictions and how much work would need to be done.
> If it's just a case of finding someon on the freebsd accessibility team
> to spend time with speakup developers is there any way that speakup
> users can patition freebsd to look at this?

As speakup is completely in-kernel with the exception of software speech
if that is used, Speakup itself would need to be completely rewritten.
As it stands, speakup is very much dependent on the Linux kernel. It
wouldn't be a port to FreeBSD so much as a completely new internal design.
hth