Still need advice ALSA/Intel onboard s5520sc

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Mon Mar 14 12:37:52 EDT 2011

I don't know whether it will help, but have you considered trying GRML
http://www.grml.org? Its based on debian unstable and is a great live
CD. I probably wouldn't recommend using it installed to a hard disk, but
it certainly can be used to install other distributions (eg. debian I
believe is possible and I have certainly used it to install archlinux
and I think I have heard of someone using it to install gentoo).

NOTE: If you try GRML, get the full CD sized image, do not use the small
or medium versions as I think those do not contain all the speech stuff.

You asked about external sound cards, yes they will work with espeakup,
the only possible problem may be if you have multiple sound cards
working in the system, the problem being knowing which might be default
(this can be overcome for an installed system but when booting from
installer CDs it can be difficult to guess).

Michael Whapples