Announce: Speech synthesis engines in Arch Linux AUR

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:20:31 EST 2011

Using the standard portaudio package, I still get about 3 lines of
errors whenever I run espeak from a terminal, either using espeak from
community or my espeak-test package. However, espeak does still speak
there. I also get no speech with either package when using espeakup,
unless I go through all the magic incantations necessary to make
espeak-pulse run with espeakup. The problem seems to stem from the fact
that espeakup runs as root, and a user's pulseaudio daemon has to be
running before it will speak. However, if espeakup is already running
before pulseaudio starts, it still amps out and can only be killed
manually and then restarted before it will recognize that a connection
to pulse can be established.
~Kyle