espeakup and sound cards?

David Csercsics aarg at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 4 18:58:37 EST 2011

I think that you should remove the direct alsa option since that
should remove the libasound and just link to portaudio or pulseaudio
or whatever. Since people insist on using pulseaudio it'd be worth
figuring out why espeak's direct pulseaudio support isn't working with
espeakup. I don't like the extra complexity of pulseaudio but it's not
going away so we should probably try to make it work. Especially since
the gnome people and the speech dispatcher people insist on using it and
we have to use software speech with espeakup or something similar. I'd
be willing to help debug this. It'd be nice if we could sort out the
audio and accessibility mess that we have. I'm seeing quite a few apps
default to pulseaudio for sound and new users are not necessarily going
to want to mess around with sound systems and driver quirks and  other
odd stuff just so they can get speech.