espeakup and sound cards?

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 18:02:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 02:23:48PM -0800, Jacob Schmude wrote:

> Hi
> Getting espeak to switch cards was no problem. I just told Pulseaudio
> to direct espeak to my USB speaker and that did it. I used pavucontrol
> from within GNOME to do it, but I believe you can do it through pactl
> as well. That's one reason I like using Pulseaudio, I can direct audio
> where I want it regardless which program is generating it.
> I haven't gone into the espeakup source yet, but I notice that
> espeakup depends on libasound. That would suggest to me that espeakup
> is not actually having espeak do the audio output for some reason, but
> is interacting with ALSA directly at least for part of the process.

The git version of espeakup does have an experimental option that
uses alsa directly.

However, I am thinking about removing this, because there is a setting
in that code which is very system specific and the documentation for the
alsa api leaves very much to be desired.

What does everyone else think?

William