Serial conflict

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Mar 2 16:20:17 EST 2011

Hi Jacob,

I too use Arch Linux but also experience the same problem you do.
Though I didn't get into messing with kernel details, I tried the
solution that Chuck suggested in his previous message, but no joy for
me either.  My failure to get serials to work goes back to something
like 2.6.34.  've been trying this with a Speakout, using the
speakup_spkout driver. I thought someone told me that driver had a bug
of some kind but I really would like to be able to use an external
synthesizer, especially if software speech goes south when playing
with pulse audio or other such evil things.

I really wish we could get to the bottom of this serial problem since
that used to be speakup's life blood.  I think many of us are hoping
the recent kernel integration might lead us to support in getting the
serial support beefed up so you could even use USB or PCI serial ports
and not be locked into the old ones which hardly exist anymore on most
new computers.