corrections to my GRML info

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sun Jul 24 02:10:23 EDT 2011

Here are a couple of corrections to my info on grml that I recently
posted to this list.

There are 2 ways of booting the cd that I currently know of, both are
equally valid and work fine.

Hitting escape at the graphical boot splash will drop you back to the
isolinux prompt. From here you can do things such as
grml swspeak
which is the way most people are used to starting the grml system.

As noted to me by David, grml pulls in a default set of options from the
isolinux.cfg file, you can then add swspeak or ssh or any options from
the cheatsheet as you see fit.

Hitting escape has the bennifit that you cancel the timeout on the
graphical boot splash and sits you at the isolinux prompt until you are
ready to boot.

The alternative to this is to hit tab at the boot splash and key in
extra options such as swspeak and press enter.

I seem to recall that hitting tab cancels the timeout also and that you
have plenty of time to type stuff in however my memory isn't what it
once was so I could be incorrect on this.

Either way you should get speech for grml.
It was also pointed out that you can override the label or kernel from
the isolinux prompt and that this is harder to do with the tab method.

I often find it useful to put grml on a thumbdrive and change the
default boot options so it brings up speech by default. It's also
possible to remaster the CD to do this but this is outside the scope of
this post.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Regards, Kerry