I Now Have 85Lines

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Wed Jul 20 03:45:28 EDT 2011

OK, 1 of our LUG members was here--and-after many chalenges, was able to
increase my screen from 48 up to 85 lines.  Here's how he did it.
Things accomplished:
   Got monitor to display a ridiculous number of lines (85 tall), details to
follow.
   Installed irssi and attempted to configure it to be more friendly for Larry

With regard to monitor configuration:
   Step 1: Alter LILO to boot graphics mode "6", which is 80x60
   Step 2: Modify /etc/rcS.d/S23console-setup...
     (Sorry, I know it's bad, I couldn't figure out a way to get it to stop
being annoying) Right at the top I added an "exit", which prevented
console-setup from breaking the video mode set in LILO.
     A better solution that can be explored later would be figuring out how
S23console-setup does what it does and altering the configuration to set the
mode properly instead of needing to mess with bootloaders.
    Step 3: Modify /etc/console-tools/config
      Change the kernel font to: SCREEN_FONT=default8x9.psf
      (The default is iso01, afaict
    Step 4: Reboot!

With regard to irssi configuration:
   I modified Larry's configuration to ignore join/parts and notices, also
disabled the clock in the status bar.

   Things that could be improved:
     Remove the timestamp before everything anyone says
     Filter stupid people on IRC
Back again live, my columns are still at 128, but now with these marvelous
expanded view, I cannot really hear those frequencies as I speed up-and-down in
review.
Hopefully if any of you want a larger screen, Devon's work will help.
Hart