a very important notice for people using Speakup on Arch Linux

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Jan 31 10:08:02 EST 2011

Usually on servers you don't reboot every time a new kernel comes out
anyway, nor do you have to use lots of modules generally, especially if
you use a custom kernel. A kernel upgrade comes in if there was a
security issue in your kernel and you need to upgrade, but there are
still servers running 2.6.18, which I remember from years and years ago,
back when I started with Linux.
On 1/31/2011 8:01 AM, Steve Holmes wrote:
> Yes, I think not expecting a reboot after a majer version change of
> the kernel is highly unrealistic.  I also concer  with other posts
> that with all the modules used by the kernel these days, it would seem
> necessary to me to expect to reboot to get the new modules loaded.
>
> Also, I had to rebuild my rtl8192se package from AUR this morning
> because the modules there were still pointing to 2.6.36.  I wondered
> why my wireless network capability went to hell after rebooting with
> the 2.6.37 kernel.  Then it dawned on me that I might need to revisit
> that and even after rebuilding and installing the updated package, I
> had to reboot before my network would come up.  Sure, I might have
> been able to do a depmod or new modprobes or something but it was just
> easier for me to reboot the thing in this case; this was my laptop and
> sure didn't affect other users<smile>.
>
> BTW Chris, the speakup transition went perfectly.  When I first did a
> pacman -su for this morning I was concerned when I got a dependency
> error with speakup and pacman wouldn't update.  But then after reading
> the posts on this thread, the Arch Linux world is nice and round again
> for me:).  Thanks again for your excelent work in Arch, the speakup
> boot images and on-going support.
>
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11:39AM -0500, Alex Snow wrote:
>> The only OS I know of that can swap a kernel without a reboot is VMS.
>> Yes, you can copy new kernel images and new module trees until you're
>> blue in the face, but it's still not going to load the new image until a
>> reboot

>>> 	Why does Arch Linux need to be rebooted over a kernel exchange?
>>> Does it have proprietary Mickeysoft software in it or something?
>>>
>>> 				Michael
>> --
>> Always borrow money from a pessimist; he doesn't expect to be paid
>> back.

Thanks,
Ty