a very important notice for people using Speakup on Arch Linux

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Jan 31 10:01:28 EST 2011

Yes, I think not expecting a reboot after a majer version change of
the kernel is highly unrealistic.  I also concer  with other posts
that with all the modules used by the kernel these days, it would seem
necessary to me to expect to reboot to get the new modules loaded.

Also, I had to rebuild my rtl8192se package from AUR this morning
because the modules there were still pointing to 2.6.36.  I wondered
why my wireless network capability went to hell after rebooting with
the 2.6.37 kernel.  Then it dawned on me that I might need to revisit
that and even after rebuilding and installing the updated package, I
had to reboot before my network would come up.  Sure, I might have
been able to do a depmod or new modprobes or something but it was just
easier for me to reboot the thing in this case; this was my laptop and
sure didn't affect other users <smile>.

BTW Chris, the speakup transition went perfectly.  When I first did a
pacman -su for this morning I was concerned when I got a dependency
error with speakup and pacman wouldn't update.  But then after reading
the posts on this thread, the Arch Linux world is nice and round again
for me:).  Thanks again for your excelent work in Arch, the speakup
boot images and on-going support.