ArchLinux, speakup and kernel 2.6.37

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Jan 30 19:12:18 EST 2011

Hello,
Its mainly just a quick note to say I just updated my ArchLinux system
to use kernel 2.6.37 and the upgrade went perfectly fine and speakup
came up talking afterwards. So to all involved in getting speakup into
the kernel and those working on integrating thanks.

Chris it was useful to have your message saying that speakup needed to
be uninstalled first. While it may initially seem like one might loose
speech output as for a short time speakup is officially uninstalled the
running kernel kept the speakup modules running while the upgrade to
2.6.37 was done and so no such loss occurred. I just wonder whether
there was a better way to do this, eg. a speakup dummy package for
kernel 2.6.37 which provides speakup, so pacman could substitute that in
for speakup in the upgrade process and one could remove that dummy
package afterwards.

Michael Whapples