speechd-up status and ideas

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 23:48:28 EST 2011

Hi Steve,

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 08:09:21PM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:
> I like the idea of having it work in either user or system wide mode.  I
> will have to give this new setup a try.  I have Orca working with speech
> dispatcher as a system wide process in Arch Linux and it's great.  I
> think the system is faster slightly if I can keep speechd running as a
> single process and let the other a11y packages just call into it.

 I don't have the user mode set up yet, but feel free to clone my git
 repository for speechd-up and see where we are on it.

 Once I get the user mode set up, I will do a release.

If I can make things work with speechd-up the way I want them to, you
won't need to run sd in system wide mode. What I want to work toward is
having sd drop privs to the user you give it with the -u option, open
the /dev/softsynth device, then connect to sd, which will autospawn a
copy of sd running as that user.

 William