testing grml

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 23 09:56:50 EST 2011

I never found a script that worked. I downloaded a couple and they messed up
my machine worse than doing without. Looking at the code, I can't figure out
what they are trying to do. Its not that I don't understand the code, I
don't get what its trying to do.  So I may write one myself that makes more
sense to me.

Anyway, I had to learn about amixer but its not as intimidating as it seems
at first. I figured out that on all the machines I've tried grml on so far,
you get at least some sound by typing in three amixer commands:

amixer set Master unmute
amixer set Front unmute
amixer set PCM unmute

Then you have to type in two more commands to get software speech:

modprobe speakup_soft
espeakup

So its not exactly the easiest thing in the world to get software speech on
the latest grml release candidate. But there's a fix for the muted sound
card in the pipeline and I think it will be included in the next official
release. I think I am going to ask them to put speakup_soft in /etc/modules
so all you will have to do to get speech is type 'espeakup' after booting is
finished.

I have been a little reluctant to push them too hard because I don't want to
seem ungrateful. They actually have been great. They added the brltty and
espeakup packages and they added beeps at startup and when the boot is done.
They enabled the serial console so you can get boot messages via a terminal
emulator. And, of course, the speakup modules are included.

I usually keep a vinux CD around but most of the time, when I need to boot
off a CD I use grml. I'm just more comfortable with it. But the main reason
I think its important to retain accessibility in grml is that if for some
reason, vinux would go away, we'd still have a live CD we could use.