Silencing Boot Messages / missing quiet parameter?

luke speakup at lists.tacticus.com
Sat Dec 17 15:49:00 EST 2011

Hello

I have been attempting to find a way to keep my laptop from speaking the
boot messages, on a new Debian Squeeze install.

The screen quickly switches to GDM, so speakup goes on speaking boot
messages unless you switch back and silence it, or catch it before the
switch to the gnome console.

I thought I could use the quiet boot parameter as has been done in the
past.  However, adding it to the line in the modprobe.d file for local
configurations, does not seem effective.

In addition, it is not listed as a boot parameter in the version of the
manual which comes with speakup-doc under Debian, which makes me think
that the parameter has been dropped for some reason when I wasn't paying
attention.

Is there some other way to do this now, or was it thought to be useless
functionality?  Or am I just doing it wrong?

Luke