making room for linux

Christopher Moore chris.w1gm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:22:22 EST 2011

Chuck,
I lost track of your HP repartitioning saga.  I too have an HP laptop on
which I want to run Linux.  HP put the recovery partition at the end of
the drive which means you can't shrink the data partition and add more
partitions without first deleting the recovery partition.  This of
course can be done if you've made a DVD backup of your initial system.

The virtual solution makes a good deal of sense.  Another thing you
could do is to install a talking arch onto a removable USB drive and
boot from it.  A third approach would be to remove the recovery
partition, shrink the data partition, install linux on the balance of
the drive, and add an entry to the windows boot loader for linux.

Chris