Just used new talking arch iso to install on vmware fusion

Cheryl Ann Homiak cahomiak at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 23:30:07 EDT 2011

Hi all.

I just used the x86 version of the new talking arch iso to install linux
on my mid-2007 model mac mini in vmware fusion 3.1. I have both braille
and speakup running. I really liked Arch when I tried it on a couple of
laptops but was worried about not getting the fan control right as the
temperatures were going up on them so I reinstalled debian on those and
hadn't gotten around to sorting out that issue. I figured this wouldn't be
problem within vmware fusion since it's a virtual machine and the system
shouldn't be running the fan.

Of course vmware didn't recognize the cd but I pressed "continue" anyway
and then "save" after the steps of creating a new virtual machine. The iso
loaded and I hit enter and came to the prompt with speech. From there, I
followed all the steps just as if I was going to do an actual install on a
computer instead of  as a vm.

I did get one error about locale-gen not
running but I went ahead
figuring I could fix that after installation if it was a problem but
everything appears to be fine.

So now, on my mac mini, I have access to Mac OS X Lion, Windows XP and
arch linux through vmware fusion, plus Macports and fink (though fink
hasn't gained back all of its packages after the changes caused by Lion).
Not only that: when I back up my Mac system with superduper, it gives me a
fully-bootable system, including fully duplicated and working virtual
machines. At any rate, I just wanted people to know that you can use the
arch linux iso for vmware fusion. I had done this a few years ago with
debian and vmware 1.1 but I had problems with braille using my usbserial
cable at the time. I'm not having problems so far this time around.

--
Cheryl

May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart