use $() instead of backticks in talkwith

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Tue Sep 28 18:26:08 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 01:35:36PM -0400, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> Debian is transitioning from using bash to using dash, the latter shell
> seems closer to the magic posix standard.

	Good.  Never cared for bash completion and the Microsoftesque
penchant for trying to do everything, when some of us only want them to
keep the hell out of the way.  Every new idea they add just boggs down
the overall system, rather than concentrating on writing faster, tighter
code for the user interface, leaving us stuck with chasing down the next
full computer upgrade just to keep up.  It's stupid.  I can recall back
in the 80's, having a spreadsheet and having it take 10 seconds to
recalculate the thing, and then looking at all the advances in Windows
and CPU processing power, and the same spreadsheet still takes 10
seconds to recalculate.  It's stupid.  I needed to buy a whole new
computer because friggin Orca no longer runs worth a crap on a Celeron
CPU, and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.

				Michael