questions about text-based e-mail

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Sep 28 12:41:06 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:44:13AM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> Speakupconf only saves or loads from /etc/speakup if it is run
> as root, or ~/.speakup if it is run as a user.  enhancing it to allow a
> location to be specified might be possible.

This enhancement has indeed taken place! I just changed speakupconf to
allow for a second argument to be passed to the script, telling it to
use this argument as an alternate directory to save or load speakup
and speech parameters.  The patch was recently committed to git
master (thanks William) so a 'git pull' should get you this new
version of the script and the spkguide.txt (speakup users guide) has
also been updated with the additional speakupconf information.

Hopefully this will help folks who want to come up with custom speech
settings for different applications at different times and have them
switch automatically.  I think a bit of clever shell scripting and
aliaseing can go a long ways here.