questions about text-based e-mail

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Sep 6 00:39:12 EDT 2010

Hi,

You were asking about text mail readers but wanna use them for news as
well.  Mutt is great for e-mail but I can't see how one could read
news with it.  I'm not saying it's impossible, but I've never seen it
done.  When I used to use pine, I recall it could double up as a news
reader.  So I would imagine that you could do the same with alpine
since it forked of from pine as I remember.

With mutt, the cursor tracks right along with the current selection in
the message and alias lists without any special settings.  While
inside a message body, I use the review functions to read the message
text.  I generally love mutt for efficient digesting of my e-mails.
It is so powerful just from a stand point of usage with its ability to
tag messages for later processing, IMAP support and easy integration
with externals editors and pgp.  I use thunderbird while in gnome to
more easily work with some web content but I just find mutt to be so
much faster to use.