IBMtts speakup connector AUR package

Christopher Moore chris.w1gm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:15:16 EDT 2010

Michael,
Nice job on the speakup-connector package.  I installed it without a hitch.

The Voxin installer wasn't designed with arch linux in mind.
Fortunately I was able to copy the necessary files from a previous
installation.  It's
actually quite simple.

1.  From your previous installation, make two tar.gz files from /opt/IBM
and /var/opt/IBM.

2.  untar the files on your new system with a command like:
cd /; sudo tar zxvf file1.tar.gz

3. make symlinks in /usr/lib for the two libraries:
libibmeci.so and libetidev.so

You can use the say program to test it although in my case
I had to stop espeakup to free the soundcard.

The suggestion about installing the libstdc++296 package also worked for me.
This saved me the pain of dealing with a .deb package supplied with voxin.

Finally, another tool I have discovered is yaourt.  This is a front-end
to the standard arch package manager (pacman).
It makes it easy to search for and install packages from the aur
as well as those included with arch.

Chris