Configuring grub / grub2 to indicate the boot menu items

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Oct 7 16:18:16 EDT 2010

I have to add one other point here; you need to be sure that your
/etc/default/grub file has the TERMINAL=console uncommentted.  If not,
you will get a graphical display and for whatever reason, the
Control-G trick won't work unless terminal is set to console.  When I
go with the graphical default, I can have the highest resolution
possible and have it passed onto the kernel and I end up with a dis
play of 92 lines plus 256 columns.  That's an interesting side effect
but with a console that big, it ends up being slow to fill.  So there
seems to be a trade off here between a graphical terminal with no menu
item beeps or a text console defaulting to yucky 80 by 25 size but
have a beep on the menu item of your choice.