Configuring grub / grub2 to indicate the boot menu items

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Thu Oct 7 05:45:58 EDT 2010

OK, I got it to work with the new grub configurations.  Let me
describe what I did here.

With my grub2 setup on my archlinux system, I went into the 10linux
script found in /etc/grub.d; I believe this file is a standard issue
script for all distros using grub2.  Not sure if any of it was
customized by Arch developers or not.  I looked for the second
occurrence of
linux_entry.  The first occurrence is a function definition so we
don't want to change anything there.  The next or second occurrence
from the top will build the first menu option in your grub.cfg file.
The first quoted string following the 'linux_entry' call specifies the
menu title.  It currently begins with the variable ${OS}.  I just
stuck a Ctrl-G in front of this variable and immediately following the
opening quote mark.  Myself, I used emacs to do this by pressing c-q
followed by the Ctrl-G character.

After that, I saved and closed the file and did
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
to regenerate the grub.cfg file.  On my system, I do not have a
update-grub command.  Dunno if that is a local Arch modification or if
update-grub is just on other distros.  Anyway, I looked at grub.cfg
for good measure and saw the ^G in the right spot.  I reboot and I
have the beep on the top menu item with this new configuration.  It
works like it always did before too.

The only side effect for me is I have to re-figure how to get the
right parms in for me to have a nice big display again.  But that's
another issue for me to work out.  I had been using an old grub.cfg
for a long time and never got around to using the new config file
system for grub.