espeakup-amd64 frustration

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Nov 28 16:03:07 EST 2010

Jude DaShiell, le Sun 28 Nov 2010 15:55:19 -0500, a écrit :
> The version of that file I have I hope is well out of date.  I can't
> install debian squeeze on my equipment here since it won't detect a 400GB
> hide hard drive either in a drive sled or attached to a u.s.b. port.  The
> cmos was set up to allow floppy drives to work on usb ports but there was
> no such provision for hard drives.  The A.M.D. machine I have was hot
> about 13 years ago and will be replaced in 2011 if all goes as planned
> with more modern equipment.  If I can find the intel version of the
> espeakup.iso file I'll probably be able to put this on another machine and
> get it working if it's had a version update since when last I downloaded
> it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are you aware that in Debian's
vocabulary, amd64 just means "64bit version of x86", be it from AMD or
from Intel?  As opposed to i386, which is "32bit version of x86", be it
from AMD or from Intel, for which there are images on
http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/ too.

As of being out of date, it's not the latest version indeed (14th
october), but I'd tend to think that it's recent enough for a USB
drive.  I hope to take the time to generate a newer image corresponding
to the pending-upload beta2 of the main debian installer.

Samuel