If bash can, why not Speakup?

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 23:50:55 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 12:52:38PM +1000, pj at pjb.com.au wrote:
> Janina Sajka wrote:
> > to track whether I'm in insert or command mode, i.e. it would
> > sure help if Speakup could give me a differently pitched voice
>
> Misunderstanding this to be about vim itself :-( , I wrote:
> > Presumably by writing something to somewhere in
> > /sys/accessibility/speakup/ (or /proc/speakup ?)
> > ... It might be possible to do it with a vim script
>
> And it is possible :-) if you copy spokenmode.vim (after the .sig)
> into your ~/.vim/plugin/ dir (you might have to mkdir it first)
> then you should see the contents of /tmp/t change according to
> the editing mode.
>
> It just remains to find something in /sys/accessibility/speakup/
> which switches between two suitable voices...

What you are going to be able to do with that is speech synthesizer
specific, so those settings are under the directory named by the
synthesizer name in /sys/accessibility/speakup.

For example on my desktop, the file to change the pitch is
/sys/accessibility/speakup/ltlk/pitch.

The values and their ranges are different for each synthesizer, so you
have to know the possible values and ranges to make them work correctly.

Also, some of them support relative pitch, so you can do things like
raise or lower the pitch by a specified amount.

William