If bash can, why not Speakup?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Nov 17 06:17:14 EST 2010

Hi, All:

I've been happily using vim for years. My biggest complaint is that I
need to be ultra-careful to track whether I'm in insert or command mode,
i.e. it would sure help if Speakup could give me a differently pitched
voice depending on that simple binary condition.

I'm aware of the status line in vim, but recently I've discovered that
one can have vim as the command editor in bash:

set -o vi

So, how is bash tracking this binary condition? I can surelyh confirm
that it does. Might it be something that could be used via Speakup to
change voice pitch on the fly depending on insert vs. command mode? Any
thoughts?

PS: In addition to the above set command, the following two are also
rather interesting:

set -o
bind -P

Janina