cpu, and debian install questions

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Nov 9 23:25:09 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 01:08:28AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Gregory Nowak, le Sun 07 Nov 2010 16:38:36 -0700, a ?crit :
> > My second question is what is the easiest way to install debian Lenny
> > 64-bit on this system without a serial port? I do have a usb to serial
> > converter here, but that won't work with speakup as of now
> > obviously.
>
> But it would work with console=ttyUSB0

Following up on this, it looks like my recollections were correct,
that doesn't work with this particular converter. Here's what I tried:

1. Boot from the netinst 64 cd, and get the beep.

2. Hit tab, hit space, and type console=ttyUSB0
hit enter.

The cd spins for a bit, and then nothing, not a peep. I also tried
console=ttyUSB0,38400 to make sure I got the right baud rate, but
still nothing. Yes, everything is wired correctly. I've used serial
consoles before starting at the boot loader with the console=
parameter, so this is something I am familiar with.

I am debating at this point whether to go with debootstrap from
grml64, or if I should remaster the netinst 64 iso with a preseed.cfg
file, and try that instead. I've read through appendix B of the
install guide, and have downloaded, and appropriately modified the
example preseed file, but there are still a couple of things I'm not
clear on, that section b.4 of the install guide doesn't
clarify. Also, when I run debconf-set-selections on my preseed file on
a 32-bit Lenny system, I get this:

error: Cannot find a question for passwd/root-password
error: Cannot find a question for passwd/user-password
error: Cannot find a question for passwd/user-password-again

Since I like to be in control of such things where possible, I think
I'll try the debootstrap method first, and will go to preseed if I
can't get debootstrap to do what I need/want in full.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1