enlarging terminal

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Tue Nov 2 09:01:57 EDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 04:29:46AM -0400, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:
> I have added vga=773  to my kernel line in the grub menu.lst file,
> which gives me 48 lines of 128 columns.

I also run Arch Linux like Chuck does but I'm using grub2 so I had to
do a similar thing but had to be sure the grub.cfg file included a
'insmod vbe' before I could get any change in screen size; from there
I used vga=790 as a kernel parameter to achieve a 48 row by 128 column
screen.

Another way you could get a large screen with grub2 is alter the
values in /etc/default/grub to use gfxterm as the terminal output but
then grub seemed a lot slower but I got a screen size of 96 rows by
256 columns!