Setting text console dimensions via Grub2

Alonzo cuellar mariachiac at gmail.com
Wed May 19 18:02:24 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 03:49:50PM -0500, Chris Brannon wrote:
> Alonzo wrote:
> > If you can tell me how to check the dimentions of the terminal with speakup
> > I'll check mumy configuration of grub2 and see if I can help.
>
> Hi Alonzo,
> Here's how you can find the position of the bottom right corner of the
> screen.
> Press speakup + numpad 3 to go to the bottom edge, followed by
> speakup numpad 1 to go to the right edge.
> Press the period key on the numpad to hear the current position.
> If you're on a laptop, replace that sequence with the following:
> capslock control p
> capslock control period
> and capslock n.
Ok I've done that and I get for example in a terminal line 50 ca160
So I'm guessing thats pretty good. Here is the line i have uncommented in /etc/defaults/grub
# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024

I have it set that way since thats the resolution of my screen.