Setting text console dimensions via Grub2

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun May 16 14:31:50 EDT 2010

Hi, Gary:

The best advice I can offer will require some sighted assistance.

1.) Put 'vga=ask' in your grub.conf and reboot.

2.)	Shortly after linux starts there'll be a screen of available
resolutions. You want to do a Scroll-Lock at that point so you can have
the time you need to have your sighted helper read the available modes
andhex settings to you.

#.)	After you've written your choice down, finish the boot, adjust
your grub.conf accordingly, and reboot once again.

This should do it. Actually, I have no experience of grub2, but don't
expect grub is actually involved in setting the resolution you need in
Linux consoles.

hth

Janina