Setting text console dimensions via Grub2

Garry Turkington garrys.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:57:32 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies if this is a duplicate, interesting mail issues at
this end...

I've returned to Speakup after a while and am enjoying proper Linux console
access once again.

One thing is frustrating me and I suspect it's been addressed before though
a search of prior postings didn't give me the magic I wanted.

In the old Grub days I had a vga=0x317 setting in my menu.lst to give a very
wide and tall console screen, something like 140 columns and 40+ rows, which
made life much better.  The migration to Grub2 has given different settings
and I can't find a reliable way of getting such an effect now.

I've set things like gfxpayload=keep after setting the higher resolution in
the config files but this seems to give me the same old 80x25 vconsole size.
Is there some magic I'm missing?  Using Debian 5 if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
garry