Questions on ArchLinux for the blind

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 15:45:16 EDT 2010

Cleverson wrote:
> 1. After installing and configuring the base system, is it possible to
> set up the x server plus Gnome and setting up Orca without sighted
> assistance?

Hello!
I'll let someone else answer this one, because I don't really use Gnome
on Arch.  Yes, it's possible to set it up eyes-free.
I'd probably do that after booting into the freshly-installed OS.

> My native language is Brazilian Portuguese, so I will
> have to set my localization options and change the ESpeak voice after
> rebooting into the installed system, right?

You can change the espeakup voice by editing /etc/conf.d/espeakup.
Just edit the version on the installed partition before you reboot.
I don't expect that you'll have any problems with setting your locale.

> 3. My machine has a Pentium D dual core processor, with 1 GB RAM. Is it
> worth installing the 64 bits version, since I don't have much memory?

Honestly, I haven't even published a link to the 64-bit image, yet.
It's really just for testing purposes, if you're feeling brave.
If you ask me privately for the link, I'll gladly give it to you.
The next set of "stable" images will include a 64-bit version.

Good luck,
-- Chris