Questions on ArchLinux for the blind

Cleverson Casarin Uliana clever92000 at yahoo.com.br
Sun Mar 21 15:10:43 EDT 2010

Hello all:

I plan to give ArchLinux a try, using Chris Brannon's talking Arch CD. I
have 3 questions before trying it:

1. After installing and configuring the base system, is it possible to
set up the x server plus Gnome and setting up Orca without sighted
assistance? There are instructions in the beginners guide to install a
graphical environment, but no instructions for setting up Orca. Could
you write down such steps, in case it is accessible to do?

2. Is there any problem configuring another keyboard and locale during
the installation? My native language is Brazilian Portuguese, so I will
have to set my localization options and change the ESpeak voice after
rebooting into the installed system, right? In the future, perhaps  I
could even try remastering a localized Talking Arch for me.

3. My machine has a Pentium D dual core processor, with 1 GB RAM. Is it
worth installing the 64 bits version, since I don't have much memory?

That's it for now. Thanks,
Cleverson