Arch Linux Sixty Four-Bit updates Question

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Sun Mar 14 21:06:52 EDT 2010

Hello,
A few comments:
* Getting wireless while installing, one solution could be use the GRML
LiveCD and get pacman working on that. GRML has some nice tools for on a
LiveCD, grml-network would be useful here (it was almost too simple to
set up a connection to a WPA protected wireless network with that). You
can find details of installing ArchLinux from existing Linux on the Arch
wiki (NOTE: on that page it says use the static build of pacman but it
points to an old version of pacman which can't manage some of the newer
packages in the repository, either try and satisfy the dependencies of
the standard version or use a mirror which doesn't seem to have any
pkg.tar.xz packages (I found the mirrors.uk2.net ones work)).
* Regardless of how you install Arch, remember make sure you install the
required wireless packages to the system when you do the install.
* May be CDRWs have moved on from when I used them (well over 5 years
ago), but I found they seemed to get corrupted fairly quickly. An
alternative would be use a USB drive if your computer supports booting
from USB.

Michael Whapples