Arch Linux Sixty Four-Bit updates Question

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 20:16:22 EDT 2010

Keith Hinton wrote:
> How goes the TalkingArch project?
> I am curious to know if it is even still active-as no new blog posts
> have been forthcoming sinse the hint about what's upcoming.

I'm still here.  I have a test image for x86_64 that includes both Speakup
and brltty.  A few have used it.
I build x86_64 images under qemu, since I'm still using a 32-bit machine.
There hasn't been an official ArchLinux CD release since August of 2009.
Mine will follow theirs, whenever that is.

> While I burned the first Test image to disk, I don't have anymore blank media

Recordable CDs are very cheap, even for me.  I'm dirt poor.
Get a few CDRWs, and you won't have to worry about media for some time.
I seem to recall that each disk is good for a hundred rewrites or so.
If you can't get to a store, order them online.
For that matter, I'd probably be willing to ship you a 5-pack of CDRWs,
and it wouldn't cost you a penny.  I need a postal address, of course.

> What about the WPA stuff?

Well, I think you need the wpa_supplicant package for that.
It isn't on my TalkingArch CD.
For that matter, it's not on the official netinstall CD, either.
Early this morning, I sent a patch to the ArchLinux releng list,
adding wpa_supplicant to the list of packages on the official netinstall CD.

WPA was a real bear for me.  I had to use it in grad school, to access
my university's wireless LAN.  Good luck!

-- Chris
PS.  Next time, please show me a little courtesy, and wait a little longer for
my reply before airing your complaints on a public ML.