New Member

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Sun Mar 14 04:49:27 EDT 2010

Hi Trev,

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:26:10AM -0500, trev.saunders at gmail.com wrote:

> Case 1:
> This is mostly servers, but also personal machines for other people
> and such where I want to do as little maintanance as posible.  I also
> want a stable basic system that general is fairly small.  FOr these
> system I use debian either stable or testing depending on exact needs.

Agreed. I have made the same decision for the same reasons recently.

> So I'm curious what people like about arch especially over gentoo?

Sorry, I can't say, I haven't had a gentoo system running here. My
distro path has been limited, beginning with Slackware, from there to
Debian, and now to Arch. As with all Linux systems, sources are readily
available, and recompiles are easily done. Others here will have more
helpful observations comparing Arch and Gentoo, I think.

Chuck

             My web site:           www.hallenbeck.ftml.net
                Audio editor weblog: edway.wordpress.com
                                --------
"I believe Icarus was not failing as he fell, but just coming to the
end of his triumph." -- Jack Gilbert