Setting text console dimensions via Grub2

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Jun 30 16:40:55 EDT 2010

I realize these parms are distro specific so will point out what I've
been doing on my ArchLinux system and grub2.  First of all, they
implemented the config-grub thing too but for laziness, I just kept my
grub.cfg around with the kernel command which I will paste in
shortly.  I also have
insmod vbe
in my grub.cfg plus the following kernel command line.
linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb1 ro vga=790
I'm a bit unclear now how I came up with 790 but I was originally
using parameters spelling out the specific resolution modes but that
broke when the 2.6.32 kernel came out.  After some experimentation and
trial+error, I came up with the line I pasted here and it's been
working for me ever since.  I get a text terminal with 48 lines and
128 columns.

Now, if I could get gnome to give me more than 800/600 resolution,
things would be even better but that's for another another thread on
another day.