Question about synth_request_region

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Wed Jun 30 14:20:44 EDT 2010

Merci Samuel.

I thought it might have  something to do with the types of serial ports
defined in the kernels include/linux/serial.h. Btw, it defines PORT_MAX as
13. Not sure if this is the same thing, but I was unable to detect my
dectalk via my pci express serial card after changing it to 13.

Actually, if I comment out that whole if block including the check for the
error, speakup_dectlk does report that it found the dectalk on ttyS0,
but it only says, ""DecTalk Express ready" in a very sick sounding voice.

If I uncomment the below around line 79 of serialio.c, it does print "in
irq" many times in the logs and eventually says, "Too many timeouts,
deactivating speakup."

/*printk(KERN_ERR "in irq\n"); */
/*pr_warn("in IRQ\n"); */

So, it looks like there is more to the problem.

Btw, I changed the values of ttyS0 to 0xCC00 and 16 for the i/o address
and irq respectively in the kernels arch/x86/include/asm/serial.h file to
match the output of setserial /dev/ttyS0 -a