we need a new way to access serial ports

acollins at icsmail.net acollins at icsmail.net
Sun Jun 27 16:05:08 EDT 2010

Actually, now that I think about it, the conector would actually have to
be a full user space synth driver, since the control codes for each
synth are different.

This would also solve problems like putting the synth driver to sleep
while waiting for io situations.  But if you move the drivers to user
space, then it probably won't be long before the speakup core would move
to user space too.  I know Kirk is still fond of having speakup in the
kernel, but I'm seriously wondering how long that can continue.
Especially since the software synth stuff already has to happen in user
space.

I suspect I'll get some knee jerk reactions for my heretical ideas, but
that's ok.  If the discussion doesn't happen, ideas don't get expressed.
 Just throwing out thoughts.

Gene