Linux virtualization

trev.saunders at gmail.com trev.saunders at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 00:08:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:13:36PM -0700, Shane W wrote:
> > I am playing with VirtualBox at present but I have never
> > used X so don't know the basic hotkeys like how to start an
> > app full-screen,
>
> In the case of virtualbox, you'd switch between full screen and a
> minimized window by using hostkey+f. I think you could set a virtual
> machine to start by default in full screen mode, but I haven't played
> with that much. The hostkey is your right control key by  default, but
> that can be changed.
>
> > how to get vbox to capture keyboard input
>
> To do that, you press and release the hostkey. Same thing to go back
> to the host system.
>
> > etc. I assume the GUI won't talk so using the VBoxManage
> > command is the way to go.
>
> Yes, the gui won't talk in orca at this time. If using an rdp client
> is an option for you, you might consider starting the guest with
> vboxheadless, and interacting with the guest through virtualbox's
> built-in rdp server.

you could try vboxgtk if you need a gui.  how have you gotten sound forwarding to work with rdesktop?  I've never managed that, I know there is an option for it, but never seen it work.

> > So just wonder what works and what doesn't with Jaws and
> > video intercept.
>
> I've used wineyes, and nvda on winxp guests in vbox with no problem.

I've seen nvda work in qemu fine, that's all I've tried with windows to date.

> > Whatever solution I go with, it does need
> > to be pretty complete. I use Apps like Skype, Kurzweil,
> > Quickbooks etc, plug in random usb devices like
> > flashdrives, headsets etc and would want those things to
> > just do the right thing in Windows.

all the apps should be fine you just have to setup networking.  as for usb stuff I believe you'll have to tell vbox to pass them through to the guest, which I've never done.

> All of that should work for you in a vbox guest.

I believe it should all work in kvm if you prefer that.

> > Do people think
> > virtualization could work or is dedicated hardware still
> > the way to go?
>
> I think virtualization could work, as long as you have modern hardware
> with a fast enough cpu, enough ram, and a big enough hd.

It'll probably take more configuration than dedocated hardware, but should work.

Trev