Linux virtualization

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Jun 4 23:29:47 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 07:13:36PM -0700, Shane W wrote:
> I am playing with VirtualBox at present but I have never
> used X so don't know the basic hotkeys like how to start an
> app full-screen,

In the case of virtualbox, you'd switch between full screen and a
minimized window by using hostkey+f. I think you could set a virtual
machine to start by default in full screen mode, but I haven't played
with that much. The hostkey is your right control key by  default, but
that can be changed.

> how to get vbox to capture keyboard input

To do that, you press and release the hostkey. Same thing to go back
to the host system.

> etc. I assume the GUI won't talk so using the VBoxManage
> command is the way to go.

Yes, the gui won't talk in orca at this time. If using an rdp client
is an option for you, you might consider starting the guest with
vboxheadless, and interacting with the guest through virtualbox's
built-in rdp server.

> So just wonder what works and what doesn't with Jaws and
> video intercept.

I've used wineyes, and nvda on winxp guests in vbox with no problem.

> Whatever solution I go with, it does need
> to be pretty complete. I use Apps like Skype, Kurzweil,
> Quickbooks etc, plug in random usb devices like
> flashdrives, headsets etc and would want those things to
> just do the right thing in Windows.

All of that should work for you in a vbox guest.

> Do people think
> virtualization could work or is dedicated hardware still
> the way to go?

I think virtualization could work, as long as you have modern hardware
with a fast enough cpu, enough ram, and a big enough hd.

Greg

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1