speakup and debian install

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Sat Jul 24 11:15:46 EDT 2010

Hi,

Just acquired an RN pentium 4ht which I am hoping to use with debian.

I have several net installs ranging from pre-lenny release to last week.

I find that I am not able to get speakup to come up talking on that
computer.

I have another machine where some of them some of the time work, I think
it may be a matter of timing.

Just wondering if any of you are using a pentium 4ht and whether there are
any known issues?

I have an appollo synth.

These are the steps I am taking:-

Insert the boot cd and waiting for the drive to stop spinning.
Arrow dow once and hit tab
then:
speakup.synth=apollo

I am told that the system goes on to boot and goes to the select country
prompt.

Wonder if hyperthreading has any impact or perhapse the com port is not
working or supported.

No idea of the hardware as I got it without an operating system.

Any comments welcome.

Wonder if it would give an error message at this stage if there is a hardware
issue?

Thanks

Keith Barrett