image for windows or linux

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Thu Jul 15 20:01:15 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 08:08:15AM -0700, Butch Bussen wrote:
> I just downloaded the latest terabyte programs, and I remember
> reading some where a while back that they have a way to make their
> Linux version speak.  Was that on this list?

	This is one of the mailing lists for a screen reader called
Speakup, which pretty-much gives you text console access to linux from
startup to shutdown, if you have a hardware speech synthesizer, or from
login prompt to shutdown if not.  Until configuration files are manually
updated to include SpeakUP, it can be started from the boot loader with
a simple text command: speakup.synth=<synthesizer driver> Usually the
synthesizer driver is a 4 character name like "ltlk" or "soft", which
loads in support for the LiteTalk hardware synthesizer, or the software
synthesizer, respectively.  The linux CD will usually have instructions
for booting Linux with SpeakUP support in the documentation directory,
which may be viewed with any working computer system.

	Booting the software synthesizer is a little bit more involved.
Not only do you have to load the driver, you also have to start a
software synthesis engine after logging in.  This can all be automated
for the future, though.

	Some distributions (distros) contain SpeakUP support, and some
do not.  Some of the more popular linux flavors include GRML vinux,
Debian, and Ubuntu to name a few.  Their CD images can be downloaded
from their websites and burned to CD.  Once that's accomplished, you can
put the CD in the drive, read the usual slew of help textfiles on how to
boot and or install the system, and go from there.  HTH,

				Michael