debian kernels and speakup

Keith Barrett lists at barrettpianos.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 10:26:48 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am using debian testing.

I have been using apt-get dist-upgrade from time to time and I note that
kerbel 2.6.32-5 has been downloaded.

However, I also note that this has not become the default boot kernel.

So questions are, is this likely to be anything to do with speakup?

Looking at the config file, looks like speakup has not been enabled.

I am not wanting to loose speech at the moment so am being a bit careful
but as I have some ongoing issues starting gnome, I am thinking I may
need to have the newer kernel.

Any help or suggested reading appreciated.

uname lists the current kernel as 2.6.32-1.

Am I right in assuming that normally, the latest downloaded kernel would
become the default?

Thanks

Keith