ot: protecting a public service from script kiddies

Tyler Littlefield tyler at tysdomain.com
Mon Jan 25 12:47:25 EST 2010

Hello all,
I've recently had the idea of setting up a mud hosting service for the many people that seem to be springing up looking for a good service. Now, I have a question.
What sort of legalities should I be aware of in terms of this hosting? My main concern so far is script kiddies and my box being a launchpad for spam or anything that might be unethical or just not legal. I've had the idea of doing something like a rate limit on outbound connections, but I'm not quite sure how that should look or what I should rate limit.
What sorts of things are generally logged by hosts? What sort of setup do hosts that offer public services have? I plan on the normal TOS, (no porn, no bos, stuff like that,) but just because it's there doesn't mean that it will be violated. I've also considered something like a form of identification, or just mailing said person a contract to sign with the same TOS, or maybe just making them mail me a copy of their ID or something; how routine is this? I want to make it easy to start a mud, and I'm a huge privacy freak, but I don't want to make it so lax that I end up screwing myself over in the future by trying to be nice.

		Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
	http://tds-solutions.net
	Twitter: sorressean