ot, spamassassin question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Jan 20 19:33:00 EST 2010

Ok, I think I figured it out, thanks John for reminding me of
sa-learn's --dump flag. It's a combination of 2 problems. The first
problem is that yes, I really am a moron. When I was running the
spam/ham learning script out of /etc/cron.daily, I was searching
through my mom's saved ham, and spam. However, I forgot to add the
- --dbpath option to sa-learn when calling it in the script. The result
is that I happen to have a /root/.spamassassin directory now, with the
files bayes_seen  bayes_toks in it. I've had a look at the sa-learn
man page, but don't see a way to merge that data with the data in my
mom's .spamassassin directory, that was collected through
autolearning. I can backup the data from /root/.spamassassin/*, but I
don't see a way to append it to the existing data in my mom's
directory. If someone knows of a way to do that, without destroying
the data already there, please let me know.

The second problem is that my mom's database contains less than 200
messages of either ham, or spam. When I said she's had more than a
couple thousand messages come through, I really did think that. So,
I'm either wrong on that figure, and that many didn't come in, or not
enough of them were autolearned from. If I were to merge somehow the 2
sets of data, she still wouldn't have 200 of either one, but she'd be
a lot closer there as far as ham is concerned.

BTW John, thanks for that small perl script. Yes, the bayse plugin is
installed, or at least I assume it is, since I just got the shell
prompt back after running it. Thanks a lot again John for your help in
troubleshooting this, I really appreciate it.

Greg

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 04:33:05PM -0600, John G. Heim wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure about the bayesian plugin module but I know
> spamassassin checks for some modules before trying to load them and if
> they aren't available the features they are used for just don't work. So
> I suppose it's possible that spamassassin would just go on merrily
> checking messages even if the bayesian plugin is missing.
>
> Man, now you're really testing my memory. There is a way to run the
> spamassassin service in the foreground so you can see its output. It
> displays a list of perl modules it looked for and whether it found them.
> I think if you just say, 'man spamassassin' you can find that.
>
> But otherwise you can also check if the module is there in the perl
> interpreter itself. Just type 'perl' at the command line and then 'Use
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Bayes ;' Or you could write a quick script to
> do it:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Bayes;
>
> If the above 2 line script works, then the plugin is installed.   If you
> installed spamassassin via a package manager, I would think all necessary
> perl modules would be installed as dependencies.   It doesn't seem likely
> to me that the plugin would be missing.

- --
web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
skype: gregn1